Here is another story that didn't make the final cut of my book, but I think it is a good one. It is about seeing the band Zebra in concert. I first became aware of Zebra in the summer of 83, which was also the summer I first discovered MTV. Their song 'Who's Behind the Door' was in heavy rotation on the music channel and I instantly liked it from the moment I heard it. I then immediately bought the album it was on and then the following year, they put out their second release and I was probably one of what seemed like twelve people that bought that album too. With all of that, I naturally wanted to see them live, but something always seemed to get in the way and then they seemed to disappear for a while. I eventually developed a bucket list for bands that I hadn't seen yet, but definitely wanted to and Zebra was pretty high on it. Finally in 2014, my chance arrived and I bought tickets. I had never met anybody over the years that was really familiar with them, so I honestly couldn't find anybody to go with me, but that didn't matter for I was going even if I had to go alone and I did.
When I got to the venue, I couldn't believe the size of the crowd; it was huge! The venue wasn't large, but it wasn't small and I am pretty sure the show sold out. Once the guys hit the stage, they opened with 'Wait Until the Summer's Gone' and it sounded a little off, but they pulled it off okay. Despite all of the people in there, nobody seemed all that interested in the band at first and people were still shuffling back and forth to their seats, which I believe was the reason why the band sounded a little off, for it was distracting. After about three songs though, the crowd had settled down and Zebra  found their groove and all was good.
I was very curious as to how they were going to pull off 'Who is  Behind the Door' though because they were just a three man band and the end of that song was a huge production with all kinds of sound effects, plus they were over 30 years older than they were when they recorded it. With that, I felt that hey were either going to pull it off big or blow it big time. Finally, about three quarters of the way through the show, they started into their most famous song and after an initial cheer, the crowd got quiet. I think they might have been waiting to see if they pulled it off, the same as I. As the layers of the song started to build up, they were nailing every bit of it and I was feeling satisfied. Also as the song began to take off, I could feel the electricity in the air. It was like a universal vibe that seemed to be emanating from the stage and radiating into the crowd. Then the climatic end to the song began and then the vibe became ridiculously intense and it felt like it resonated through my very soul. It was an amazing feeling and by the time the song was over, I felt like I had just had a religious experience.  I have never had a song affect me so deeply from a live performance before, but these guys did it and if I was wearing a hat, I would certainly tip it to them.
If you liked this story and also have a thing for love and sex, please check out my book. I think you will like it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog